Friday, January 9, 2009

The How's and the Why's

So Maddie is almost 3, I can't believe it! With this age has come some extra fun experiences in the last few weeks. She LOVES when Glen and I make up stories for her and sing made up songs. She has, and pretty much always has had, a great sense of independence and tends to be a little on the stubborn side (the twos have added to that a bit). She's also been especially curious lately, asking a TON of questions, which has been fun for me and makes me realize how truly fascinating the little things can be! So with all of these traits in mind I'd like to share a funny little moment. The following story may be a little, well, too personal for some, but I just had to share. So if your not privy to stories about poop, then read no further! :) If your a mom or don't mind the word poop, then you should have no problem and find it quite amusing.

OK so, we were driving to my sister's house and Maddie had "dropped a load" just before we got in the car and WOULD NOT let me change it (the stubbornness I had mentioned earlier) and insisted that I change it when we got to Aunt Jessica's. I hate arguing with her about EVERYTHING and said, "You just want to sit in it?" and she said "Yep!" so I said "Fine, that's gross, but, they're your buns not mine!" So, we were on our way. As we got closer to my sister's house Maddie asked, "Why people poop, mommy?" (the curiousness I had mentioned). I kind of laughed, embarrassed for a moment, and thought about how I was going to explain this one. I then thought what a great question that was! I went on to explain why, making it very interesting for her. I won't bore you with my explanation, as I'm sure you already know. As I had also mentioned before, she loves when Glen and I make up stories and asks us to repeat them over and over. So from about half way from our house to my sister's house Maddie kept saying, "Mommy, tell me dat doy(story) again!" In a matter of four minutes I had told her why people poop 4 times! It was definitely the most interesting car ride to Jessica's house yet!

That night as I lay with Maddie I thought about her question and thought about how amazing our bodies really are and how neat it is to be able to really think about things the way a child does and to know the answers and be able to explain them to her. It made me feel grateful for so many other things. It's not everyday we think about our bodies like that, in fact, I think most of us take our bodies and how truly remarkable they are, for granted. I believe kids are here to help us put things into perspective and to be more grateful for the little things that they find fascinating and not so little!

Hmmm, how neat it is to be a parent.

No comments: