Friday, January 14, 2011

Kids say the darndest things!


There is much to be said for Riley and her personality. She's a little firecracker. She's sweet and loving, but then she can flip a switch and be the most EXTREME opposite! We love our Ri-Ri no matter what kind of mood she's in. Even if it's a bad one we're still smiling at her (kinda sad to be smiling when she's crying, but you should see her sometimes...it's ridiculous)!!!


This morning I had LOTS to do. Glen actually took Maddie to school on his way down the mountain, but I had to pick up the house and fold all the laundry and in between all that I had to get food, put on a movie, dance to a princess song with Riley, feed Chloe, get more food, dance some more, and shower!!! Anyway, Riley was bummin that I couldn't spend all my time dancing with her. As much as I would have LOVED to dance around and twirl like a princess there was so much I needed to do. She started to get a little attitude-y with me. As I picked up toys and dress up clothes in her room I asked why she was being so snotty with me. She turned and looked at me, put her hands in the air, shrugged her shoulders and said, "hmmmm, I not know." I kind of chuckled and she gave me a smile and chuckled herself.


It was a cute moment. We have lots of those moments around here and I really need to be better and jotting them down.


Just last night Maddie was going potty before bed and she was looking down while she tinkled and said, "I'm trying to make a snowflake with my pee!" I just started cracking up and told her, "Good luck!!!"


Another thing that Maddie said to me today: We were getting ready to take the girls to my parents house so Glen and I could go out. I asked Maddie to pick up her room and make her bed. She was kind of whining and grunting about having to do it. I was putting away laundry. I came into the room as she was grunting and I kind of mimicked her and said, "Oh my life is so hard." She got very huffy puffy and her eyes weld up. I asked why she was so upset, she then told me, "I'm just sensitive to the way you were talking to me." Immediately I was put in my place and realized, "Wow, that was rude of me." I told her, "You're right Maddie, mommy shouldn't have said that, it was rude and I apologize." Even though we're the parents we are sometimes in the wrong, which is ok because we're human, but for me I feel it's important to recognize when we've done something wrong towards our children and let them know that we know we were wrong. I don't feel it shows weakness, rather strength in knowing that we aren't perfect and we can always do better. That way they can know that they can make mistakes but try to fix them and become better. I shouldn't have belittled her in that way and I felt shame for it. Thank goodness children are so forgiving!


My children are teaching me so much these days, and I know there will be many more teaching days ahead. They bring me so much joy. I'm so grateful to have each of them. It's not an easy job, being a mom, but I'm so glad that I'm doing what I'm doing. I don't think I'd have nearly as much motivation in life if it weren't for my children and great husband.

1 comment:

BreAn said...

Kids really are so wise, and so forgiving. Its a great combination. I loved reading the stories!
I try to keep track of the little things too, so I can post them later.